The safety and well-being of students is our first priority. UC Davis has been monitoring situations related to Coronavirus or COVID-19 on campus and around the world, with special attention on how local circumstances and responses abroad may impact our ability to ensure the safety of students.
Based on guidance from the University of California system restricting travel, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s recent Global Level 2 Travel Notice, additional guidance from the U.S. State Department, and World Health Organization (WHO), and assessments from campus leadership, workgroups, and subject matter experts, UC Davis has decided to suspend the Blum Center Poverty Alleviation Through Action (PATA) undergraduate grant program for Summer 2020.
This decision was not taken lightly. Additional factors for cancellations include:
- the unpredictable nature of COVID-19 and the risks involved, including increasing interruptions at or within universities, government and non-government organizations, and communities around the world,
- the growing importance of measures to limit person-to-person transmission, including restrictions on public gatherings and closures of major events, and
- the increasing restrictions on international and domestic travel.
Please note, the Blum Center Poverty Alleviation through Sustainable Solutions (PASS) graduate grants will remain provisionally open for use during Fall or later, subject to ongoing guidance by the University of California system. Graduate recipients of PASS will be required to receive travel approval from the Global Affairs Travel Advisory Committee. Email email@example.com for more information.
Resources and Next Steps
Messages have been sent to students who have expressed interest in applying to Blum Center PATA grants for Summer 2020. While we recognize the disruption this decision causes for students and families, the timing of this decision was prioritized to give students time to plan for other opportunities.
We also realize this decision comes during an already challenging and stressful time for students and are reminding them of important resources, including Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS).
Students and faculty with questions related to Blum Center grant programs should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (530) 752-5763.
For more information on travel updates and advisories for UC Davis travelers visit the Global Affairs website.
We encourage students to monitor and assess the Coronavirus situation at the following resources:
- Coronavirus Information for the UC Davis Campus
- Campus Updates Related to Coronavirus
- Global Affairs Travel Announcements and Resources Related to Coronavirus
- Student Affairs Updates Related to Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control
- US Department of State International Travel
Health and Counseling Support:
Global Affairs and the Global Learning Hub remain committed to providing high-quality and impactful global learning opportunities for all students. We are here to support you during this challenging time and we look forward to resuming programs in the future.